AMWU Emergency Transport
The Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union (AMWU) shall provide an Emergency Transport Benefit to all Eligible Financial Members of the Union, including Immediate Family.
Terms and conditions
- This benefit is immediately payable to Eligible Financial Members who are unable to receive financial assistance for emergency transportation through a legislated scheme, a health insurance policy or any other insurance policy
- Compensation shall be limited to a maximum of $5,000 per Insured Person / Financial Member in any one Insured Period
- This benefit is secured by an Insurance Policy, with terms, conditions, excesses and limitations
- This benefit excludes inter-hospital transportation.
Special Note for Unemployed Members & Suspended Membership
Unemployed members are deemed to be Financial Members for a period of one year post unemployment, provided they have a zero balance. For clarity, the insurance benefits of financial membership shall not be available to a financial unemployed members from mid night on the first anniversary of them being suspended as Unemployed on the AMWU membership database
While all other categories of suspended membership other than Unemployed (such as ‘Away from Trade’, ‘Illness’, etc.) are not deemed to be financial members of the Union they will be, for the purposes of Emergency Transport and Funeral Benefit be eligible for cover, subject to all other eligibility criteria, for a period of 12 months suspension provided they have been paying financial members of the Union for at least 12 months prior to their membership being suspended and they have a zero balance.
Emergency Transport means:
- The necessary transportation by Emergency Transport, in circumstances of injury or sickness, to the nearest available hospital which is equipped to deal with the nature of the emergency; or
- Treatment by Emergency Transport staff
Eligible Financial Member means a person who is a financial member of the Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union (AMWU). This benefit does not apply to retired members, or where the cover is provided by statutory or other means.
Immediate Family includes only the spouse (including de facto) and any immediate dependents of the Eligible Financial Member.
Immediate Dependent includes the Eligible Financial Member’s unmarried dependent children who are under 19 years of age and living with the Eligible Financial Member, or who are under 25 years of age and are full time students at an accredited institution of higher learning and are primarily dependent upon the Eligible Financial Member for maintenance and support. This includes stepchildren and legally adopted children.