Frequently Asked Questions

The Journey Insurance policy will cover you for 85% of your weekly wage, up to a maximum of $1500 per week. The Policy also provides a death benefit of $100,000 and a ‘table of maims’ where you may receive one off payments for specific injuries.

There is no journey insurance claim payable for the first 14 days of being off work resulting from a journey accident. This is the excess period and you will need to use any sick leave or other leave entitlements to cover this period off work.

You should put in a workers’ compensation claim through your employer and fill out a claim for Journey insurance by going to the HSU website and clicking on the “journey Insurance” tab. You should also arrange to see the Union solicitors by calling the HSU.

No. The Insurance Policy has been paid out of existing membership revenue.

No. If you fail to pay your Union fees for 13 weeks, you will become unfinancial and will not be covered any longer by the Journey Insurance Policy.

Because the NSW Liberal Government removed a number of protections under the workers’ compensation system. Journey claims are no longer covered under workers’ compensation as a result of NSW Government changes. The Union wants to make sure that its members are protected when travelling to and from work each day.

Cover commences from the time the financial member undertakes direct travel to and from work and ceases upon arrival at either their normal residence or place of employment, whichever is their destination.

Weekly Benefits are paid directly to the member making the claim. Death benefits are paid into the estate of the member.

You are only required to use your own sick leave for the first 14 days after a journey accident. Following the first 14 days period, income benefits will be paid to you.

No medical expenses coverage or rehabilitation costs benefits are payable under this policy.

No. Rehabilitation costs are not payable under this policy.

Yes. Your weekly income benefit under this Policy includes an average of all your penalties, overtime and allowances that you earned over the previous six (6) months.

You are not entitled to get paid twice for the same loss of income. The Insurer will share the costs with your other income protection policy provider.

Yes. Members over 65 years of age are still covered by this Policy, but will only receive a maximum of 52 weeks of income benefits rather than the 104 weeks (2 years) that members under 65 years receive. All coverage will cease at the age of 70

If you make a claim and your doctor verifies that you are expected to remain off work for longer than two weeks, then your income benefits under this Policy will be paid to you fortnightly in advance. Of course, if you return to work earlier after receiving an advance payment, then the Insurer will seek to recover the excess payment.

If you do, it will reduce the benefit payable to you under this policy. For example, if an Insured person uses up 2 days of their sick leave, then the Insurer will only pay 85% of the remaining 3 days income that you would have earned, had you remained at work.

Members in the ACT have still been insured for, as not all ACT workers will be covered by the workers compensation system there. Some workers under Commcare will still require protection under this insurance policy. If a member makes a claim under this policy, then a claim should still be made under the workers compensation system and the member should visit the Union solicitors.

There are aspects of the workers’ compensation system which are unclear. Some cases may still be covered by workers compensation and therefore in the first instance, an attempt must be made to gain coverage under workers’ compensation.

If you wish to make a claim under this policy, you will also be required to see the Union solicitors to determine whether there is also a workers’ compensation claim. This is to ensure that any accidents that are supposed to be covered by workers’ compensation, are properly dealt with under the workers’ compensation system.

Yes. Paramedics are still covered by workers’ compensation, and are specifically mentioned in the legislation. However, if you are not a paramedic, but you are working for the Ambulance Service of NSW then you will be covered by the Journey Insurance policy.

If all the paperwork is submitted properly, it is not expected this will delay a claim. A workers’ compensation claim must be determined within 7 days and the Journey Insurance claim will take a few more days after that. All this is expected to occur within the first 14 days of the excess period.

No – the claimant should keep funds aside for tax as tax is not withheld. It is recommended that you obtain taxation advice from your accountant in relation to claim payments.

Public Liability Insurance

Members who also work for themselves “part time – private practice work” in addition to their usual employment are also automatically insured for Public and Products Liability insurance provided that the member’s additional income earned from their own “part time – private practice work” does not exceed $45,000 per annum, any one financial year.

No. If you are a financial member you are automatically covered.

Yes. The policy covers members who work in the private sector then work in the public sector or vice versa, providing they remain a financial member of the union and are employees working in occupations which fall within the coverage of HSU NSW/ACT.

No. Your HSU NSW/ACT subscriptions don’t reduce. It was introduced on the basis that all members are included.