HSU Members Professional Indemnity Insurance
Why has insurance been provided for members?
- Members can be sued as individuals.
- Employers may not be able to indemnify their employees due to insufficient insurance arrangements or impending insolvency.
- Employers may seek to recover financial losses when members are deemed to have acted outside the scope of their normal duties or authorities.
- Members can be sued individually for Good Samaritan acts.
The sums insured are:
- The limit of indemnity or maximum sum insured on any one claim is $20,000,000;
- The overall maximum aggregate limit of all claims for any one period of insurance is $80,000,000;
- The policy excess is $1,000 per claim inclusive of costs and expenses.
When is cover not provided?
The policy will not cover:
- Dishonest criminal acts;
- Fines or penalties imposed;
- Known circumstances of existing claims against union members;
- Work you perform as an employee in an occupation outside HSU NSW membership coverage; and
- Other exclusions apply as per insurer’s policy wording.
Do you qualify?
- HSU NSW members must be financial to access member services and benefits.
- If you generate greater than $100,000 per financial year from your private practitioner work, the policy will not indemnify you.
We recommend that you contact Coverforce to discuss what you should do.
HSU’s Professional Indemnity Insurance policy covers HSU NSW members, who are employees of Medical Establishments, for claims resulting from any actual or alleged breach of duty that are made and notified to the insurer during the relevant policy period and where the members employer:
- Is not lawfully required or lawfully permitted to indemnify the HSU NSW member and nor does the employer’s insurer indemnify the HSU NSW member (ie: you are without employer insurance coverage) or
- Is lawfully required or permitted to indemnify the HSU NSW member but is unable to do so, because it is in Insolvent administration and does not have a valid insurance policy in place that will indemnify the HSU NSW member.
Part-time – self-employed private practice work up to $100,000 pa included
HSU NSW members who also perform part-time private practice work (in addition to their usual employment) are also automatically insured for professional indemnity insurance extended cover under the policy provided that the member’s additional income earned from such work does not exceed $100,000 per annum in any one financial year and such work is of a similar nature to their usual employment.
Not all members can be insured by this policy
HSU NSW’s (safety net) Professional Indemnity Insurance policy covers the vast majority of HSU NSW members’ occupations however we are precluded at law to provide any coverage for medical practitioners. Some examples of occupations deemed to fall within this category are:
- Anaesthesia Registrars
- Dental Officers/Specialists/Surgeons and General Dentistry
- Medical Officers
- Members requiring coverage for these occupations can do so via their own professional associations.
HSU NSW members who are ordinarily deemed to be employees though employed as contractors are covered by the HSU NSW’s (safety net) Professional Indemnity Insurance providing that they are also insured by their employer’s professional indemnity insurance policy.
Subject otherwise to the terms, General Conditions, Claims conditions and exclusions of the Policy.