HSU Members Public Liability Insurance
The HSU continues to protect financial members by purchasing a Public and Products liability insurance policy on their behalf. The purpose of the policy is to indemnify, protect and pay compensation to a third party for personal injury and/or third party property damage arising out of your negligence.
In the event that you are claimed against, the insurer will appoint legal counsel who will work with you on your defence and where required, represent you. The defence costs will be paid by the insurer. Compensation awarded against you is covered by the insurer.
Why has insurance been provided for members?
- Members can be sued as individuals.
- Employers may not be able to indemnify their employees due to insufficient insurance arrangements or impending insolvency.
- Employers may seek to recover financial losses when members are deemed to have acted outside the scope of their normal duties or authority
Public and Products Liability policy is
- The limit of indemnity or maximum sum insured on any one claim is $20,000,000;
- There is no excess to be paid
When is cover not provided?
The policy will not cover:
- Dishonest criminal acts;
- Fines or penalties imposed;
- Known circumstances of existing claims against union members;
- Work you perform as an employee in an occupation outside HSU NSW membership coverage;
- You are not a member of the union;
- Other exclusions apply as per insurer’s policy wording;
- Implantable Medical Devices or Prosthetics;
- Midwifery services
The policy has been established to cover members where the member is directly employed by contract of service with an established medical institution and:
- The members employer is not lawfully required or permitted to indemnify the member or is lawfully required or permitted to indemnify the Insured but is unable to so because it is insolvent or in administration and/or does not have any valid insurance policy in place that indemnifies the member.
- A member’s total earnings as a sole practitioner does not exceed A $100,000 outside of their contract of service with medical establishments in a financial year.
What this means to you
If you generate greater than $100,000 per financial year from your private practitioner work, the policy will not indemnify you. We recommend that you contact Coverforce to discuss what you should do.
Not all members can be insured by this policy
HSU NSW/ACT’s (safety net) professional indemnity insurance policy covers the vast majority of HSU NSW/ACT members’ occupations however we are precluded by law to provide any coverage for members employed in the following occupations.
- Anaesthesia Registrar
- Dental Specialists
- Medical Officers
- Dental Officers
- Dental Surgeons
- Medical Practitioners
Members requiring coverage for these occupations can do so via their own professional associations.
Subject otherwise to the terms, General Conditions, Claims conditions and exclusions of the Policy