Additional benefits at the ISU - journey insurance

Commonwealth and state workers compensation systems around the country have effectively removed coverage for employees travelling to and from their place of employment, except in special circumstances. The ISU has arranged for Accident Journey Insurance for all of our financial members, to ensure ISU members are not exposed to loss of income if injured on the journey to and from work, from 1 July 2013.

The Accident Journey Insurance does not replace previous workers compensation arrangements but it does provide an alternative program for members including the following benefits;

  • Accident Benefit up to 85% to a maximum of $1,500 per week
  • Waiting period / excess 14 days.
  • Benefit period of up to 104 weeks

To be entitled to the benefits of the policy you must be a current member of the ISU. It is important to note that you must be a full member of the Union at the time of the accident to be covered under this policy. Pre-existing medical conditions are not insured.

If you are injured travelling to or from work please notify your employer immediately and lodge a workers compensation claim directly with them and concurrently complete a Journey insurance claim as well and send it to our insurance broker Coverforce Insurance Broking Pty Ltd.

Please be aware that when submitting a new claim all you must provide all supporting documentation of your incident.

If you would like to find out more information about Journey Insurance do not hesitate to contact our insurance broker Coverforce Insurance Broking Pty Ltd.

An eligible Industrial Staff Union (ISU) member for journey cover means: any current member who has paid all subscriptions, fines, levies and dues in accordance with the Rules of the Union.

Coverage is not provided for members who are registered as medically unfit, unemployed, paying reduced union fees, retired members or members who are not paying union fees.

Your ISU Account Manager

Shireen Munit
Account Executive
D: 02 9376 7846


Frequently asked questions

Members of the Industrial Staff Union (ISU).

Because various governments removed a number of protections under the workers’ compensation system. For example, journey claims are no longer covered under workers’ compensation as a result of NSW Government changes. The ISU wants to make sure that its members are covered by a minimum safety net that protects wages when travelling to and from work each day.

Cover commences from the time the financial member undertakes direct travel to and from work and ceases upon arrival at either their normal residence or place of employment, whichever is their destination.

The Journey Insurance policy will cover you for 85% of your weekly wage, up to a maximum of $1,500 per week.

There is no journey insurance claim payable for the first 14 days.

The insurance policy will be paid by the Industrial Staff Union (ISU) as part of your union membership.

No medical expenses coverage or rehabilitation costs benefits are payable under this policy.

Yes. Your weekly income benefit under this Policy includes an average of all your penalties, overtime and allowances that you earned over the previous twelve (12) months.

You are not entitled to get paid twice for the same loss of income. The Insurer will share the costs with your other income protection policy provider.

Claims are reviewed on a case by case basis in relation to their likely acceptance under relevant Traffic Act and Workers Compensation Law. Whilst there is an obligation for the insured to pursue a claim via these routes, the insurer will consider providing benefits to an insured, whilst they proceed with these claims against any Traffic Act or Workers Compensation Act, if it is believed that there is a possibility that this claim would not be successful.

If the insurer has paid a benefit to a member who is subsequently successful with their claim against any Traffic Act (CTP green slip)/Workers Compensation, the funds received via their claim would be used to reimburse the insurer for payments made to the insured against this policy.

The journey cover policy shall not apply to any event directly or indirectly arising out of you being under the influence of intoxicating liquor or having a blood alcohol content over the prescribed legal limit or being under the influence of any drug other than a drug taken or administered by, or in accordance with the advice of a legally qualified practicing medical practitioner.

You should put in a workers’ compensation claim through your employer and fill out a claim for Journey insurance by going to the ISU website and clicking on the “journey Insurance” tab.

If the injury was the result of a motor vehicle accident which was not their fault, they may be able to receive compensation under the Third Party Compensation (CTP) scheme which would include medical expenses and rehabilitation. Alternatively you could contact the ISU Member Rights Centre for advice.

If you make a claim and your doctor verifies that you are expected to remain off work for longer than two weeks, then your income benefits under this Policy will be paid to you fortnightly in advance. Of course, if you return to work earlier after receiving an advance payment, then the Insurer will seek to recover the excess payment.

Income benefits (based on weekly salary) are paid fortnightly in arrears directly to the member making the claim.

You are only required to use your own sick leave for the first 14 days after a journey accident. Following the first 14 days period, income benefits will be paid to you.

However an employer may be able to terminate employees on leave without pay in circumstances where they are absent for over 3 months and not on sick leave (sec 352 Fair Work Act and regulation 3.01 of the Fair Work Regulation)

First the application has to be lodged with Work Cover to determine the nature of the claim whether it is covered under Workers Compensation or Journey Cover. The Workers Compensation has seven (7) days to either accept or refuse the claim. If declined the first 14 days can be made up by using annual or sick leave.

If you do, it will reduce the benefit payable to you under this policy. For example, if an Insured person uses up 2 days of their sick leave, then the Insurer will only pay 85% of the remaining 3 days income that you would have earned, had you remained at work.

Yes. All members are insured, as not all workers will be covered by the workers compensation system. Some workers under Comcare will still require protection under this insurance policy. If a member makes a claim under this policy, then a claim should still be made under the workers compensation system.

There are aspects of the workers’ compensation system which are unclear. Some cases may still be covered by workers compensation and therefore in the first instance, an attempt must be made to gain coverage under workers’ compensation.

If all the paperwork is submitted properly, it is not expected this will delay a claim. A workers’ compensation claim must be determined within 7 days and the Journey Insurance claim will take a few more days after that. All this is expected to occur within the first 14 days of the excess period.

Documents like salary details, a police incident report and details of what happened.

Your income will be averaged over the previous twelve (12) months period and divided by 52 weeks prior to the injury which takes into account any paid and/or unpaid leave over that period. This means that a period of no income will be counted in the 52 week calculation.

You will be covered for a maximum of 104 weeks or two years from the date of the original injury.

The Journey Injury insurance cover provides you with financial security for up to 104 weeks or two years from the date of original injury. However unlike workers compensation if you are off work for more than 3 months the employer does not have to keep your job open for you. Therefore if you are unable to return to work with 10 weeks of the injury, you should contact the ISU for advice.

Yes the information provided will be kept confidential in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 cth.

No – the claimant should keep funds aside for tax as tax is not withheld. It is recommended that you obtain taxation advice from your accountant in relation to claim payments.