As the stakes continue to rise - are you compliant?
Penalties imposed on businesses and individuals who fail to comply with their WHS duties are significantly increasing.
Recent data published by Safe Work Australia shows in 2016-17, the total value of all court-ordered WHS fines increased by 8% compared to recent years, despite a 24% decrease in the number of WHS prosecutions commenced. Our workplaces services team also noticed a significant increase in fines and presence from Safe Work inspectors.
We expect this trend to continue into 2019, where we have already seen the first non-suspended sentence for 72 year old Maria Jackson, who was found to have breached her duties under the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic).
It can happen to any business
Accidents happen, even to the most safety conscious businesses. Just last week a client notified us of an incident resulting in the death of a worker and another called to report a serious burn injury that hospitalised a young worker for days. Both of these incidents will be investigated by Safe Work.
No matter how large or small the business, every business owner is responsible for the safety of their workers. It's very important to understand your obligations under all relevant WHS legislation.
Do you need assistance with Workers Compensation, HR or WHS Support Services?
Our experienced team offer a range of services to assist your business in the efficient management of their workers compensation premiums, HR and WHS risks.
Just some of the ways we can assist include:
- reviewing workers compensation premiums, classification and claims
- workers compensation claims and injury management advice
- developing and implementing policies and processes that assist you in recruiting the right people for your business
- embedding safe working processes and the identification of risks and hazards in your workplace
- identifying and closing compliance gaps
- implementing policies and procedures that provide guidelines for performance and behavioural expectations
To find out more about how Coverforce Workplace Services can assist your business, contact the team on (02) 9376 7979 today.
Find this article helpful? Click on one of the links below to share the content.