What is IT Liability Insurance?
IT Liability Insurance protects you against legal liability occurring due to the failure of your IT products, services or advice.
This policy responds to the complex needs of the Information Technology industry. It combines Professional Indemnity, Public Liability and Product Liability into the one insurance solution.
Why should I consider an IT Liability policy over separate Indemnity and Liability policies?
Due to the nature of IT, where you’re providing both a service and product simultaneously, it’s sometimes unclear where a claim should fall. The uncertainty is whether it should be placed under a product or public liability policy (third party claims for property damage or personal injury) or a professional indemnity policy (third party claims for financial loss).
This means that your claims could slip through the cracks between the two policies, particularly when they are placed with separate insurers. It’s best to get cover under the one IT Insurance policy, which includes all of the above.
Do I need it?
IT Liability Insurance is ideal for you if you’re a consultant or work in an organisation and develop, manufacture, sell, license or integrate any form of Information Technology or related services. This includes:
- Software Developers,
- Electronic and Telco equipment manufacturers,
- Telecommunication providers,
- Internet service providers,
- IT Consultants,
- Web Hosting service providers,
- Hardware/Software resellers,
- IT Maintenance and Repair Technicians.
What does it cover?
- Protection if an IT product or service you provided fails,
- Protection in the event that someone hacks into your IT systems or software and destroys or steals information,
- Cover in the event that something goes wrong based on advice you’ve provided on an IT service or product.