Owner Builder Insurance

Request a quote

Owner Builder Insurance

If you are planning to build a new home, renovate or alter your current property without engaging a registered builder to oversee the project, then you are classified as an Owner Builder.

This means that as an Owner Builder, you inherit the same risks, responsibilities, and the need for insurance as a registered builder.

Insurance for Owner Builders

As an Owner Builder you are responsible for coordinating construction work, managing site safety, and supervising any subcontractors, workers, and visitors to the site. Therefore, you can be held liable if someone gets injured or the building work is found to be defective.

Statutory Insurance requirements vary from state to state however all Owner Builders shoud consider the key products listed below.

Some additional risks, like 'unpaid workers' and 'deemed workers' require specific types of insurance, so it is important for Owner Builders to be aware of these too.

Owner Builder Contract Works and Public Liability offers protection against potential risks when constructing a new residence, renovating, or expanding an existing one. It includes coverage for a variety of hazards such as fire, storm, impact, wind, and water damage, vandalism, theft (including materials left outdoors), as well as public liability.

Owner Builder Home Warranty Insurance benefits the subsequent purchaser of your property, not you as the Owner Builder. The policy provides cover in the event that you as the Owner Builder die, disappear or become insolvent, and the building works are incomplete or defective.

If you are physically working on your project site, and/or having friends or family help with any of the work, you'll also need Voluntary Workers cover. A typical policy can provide financial compensation and cover for expenses in the event of accidental death or disablement of someone providing volunteer work.

Workers Compensation Insurance can also be an important consideration. It is administered differently between states however a typical policy can provide financial assistance to anyone you engage for your construction work in the event they sustain an injury or become ill from their work.

How Coverforce can help

Having the right insurance in place is a key part of managing the risks of being an Owner Builder. At Coverforce, our brokers have significant experience covering construction work and can therefore provide tailored risk advice and insurance cover for both the the core risks and specialised risks Owner Builders face.

For more information or to arrange cover, please contact us on 1300 255 747. Alternatively, you can simply request a quote below and one of our brokers will get in touch in one business day.

Are you looking for expert risk advice and great value cover for your business? Call us to speak to a Coverforce insurance broker today.

Our Insurance Brokers service clients throughout Australia, with key offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.

Our global insurance network

Our brokers can access more than 100 insurers across the globe to find your business quality cover at the right price.

Insurer logo AIG
Insurer logo Allianz
Insurer logo Blue Zebra
Insurer logo CGU
Insurer logo CHU
Insurer logo Chubb
Insurer logo Dual
Insurer logo GIO
Insurer logo GT
Insurer logo Hollard
Insurer logo Liberty
Insurer logo Lloyds
Insurer logo Longitude
Insurer logo Mecon
Insurer logo Miller
Insurer logo NTI
Insurer logo QBE
Insurer logo Quanta
Insurer logo SUU
Insurer logo UAA
Insurer logo Vero
Insurer logo Zurich

Terms of Use  |  Legal Notices  |  Target Market Determinations  |  Contact Us  |  Copyright © 2018 Coverforce Pty Limited. All rights reserved.