Help reduce injuries in your workplace
Over 40% of all serious workplace injuries and Musculoskeletal Disorders in Australia are the result of manual handling1. That's quite a significant statistic and one that has a big impact on businesses across the country. The good news is, there are some very simple ways you can help reduce your risk.
Manual handling generally refers to any activity that requires lifting, moving, pushing, pulling, carrying, holding or restraining any object, including a person or an animal.
Research shows that the most common injuries caused by incorrect manual handling are Musculoskeletal Disorders (MSDs) and these injuries are both debilitating and costly.
Manual handling injuries like these can generally be avoided if your employees are properly informed and regularly reminded about proper manual handling techniques.
Seven simple steps that can help reduce injuries resulting from manual handling:
- Observe and assess the load before you go to move it - is it safe to lift yourself? Call for assistance if it looks too difficult to handle
- Place yourself front facing with the load and squat down to pick up the load instead of bending your back
- Ensure you have a firm grip at the bottom of the object or its handles before moving it
- Hug the load and straighten your knees (avoid bending your back during this step)
- Always keep your head up when lifting/carrying the load
- Don't twist your body when carrying the load as it may overload your spine and cause injury
- Do not carry the load on your shoulder.
How Coverforce can help
Our experienced Coverforce Workplace Services (CWS) team can assist your business with embedding safe working processes and the identification of risks and hazards in your workplace. Contact them directly on (02) 9376 7979 to find out more.
Your local Coverforce Insurance broker can provide your business with sound risk advice and quality insurance cover to help prevent financial loss arising from workplace injury. For personalised advice, find your local broker at https://www.coverforce.com.au/contact-us or by calling 1 3000 COVER.
- Safe Work Australia - Australian Workers' Compensation Statistics 2016/17.
The information provided in this article is of a general nature only and has been prepared without taking into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs. If you require advice that is tailored to your specific business or individual circumstances, please contact Coverforce directly.
Find this article helpful? Click on one of the links below to share the content.