All eligible financial members of The Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union (AMWU) are entitled to an Emergency Transport Benefit. This includes immediate family members.
This benefit means that financial members are provided with the necessary transportation by emergency transport, in circumstances of injury or sickness, to the nearest available hospital equipped to deal with the nature of the emergency.
Terms and Conditions:
- The benefit is immediately payable to eligible financial members who are unable to receive financial assistance for emergency transportation through a legislated scheme, a health insurance policy or any other insurance policy
- Compensation shall be limited to a maximum of $5,000 per financial member in any one period
- The benefit excludes inter-hospital transportation.
- The benefit does not apply to retired members, or where the cover is provided by statutory or other means
- Immediate family members includes only the spouse (including de facto) and any immediate dependents of the eligible financial member. This includes unmarried dependent children under 19 years of age residing with the eligible financial member or those under 25 years of age and studying full time. Immediate dependent also includes stepchildren and legally adopted children.
Important information for Unemployed and Suspended Members:
- Unemployed members are deemed to be financial members for a period of one year post unemployment, provided they have a zero balance.
- The insurance benefits of financial membership shall not be available to financial unemployed members from midnight on the first anniversary of them being suspended as unemployed on the AMWU membership database
- While all other categories of suspended membership other than unemployed are not deemed to be financial members of the Union they will be, for the purposes of Emergency Transport and Funeral Benefit be eligible for cover, subject to all other eligibility criteria, for a period of 12 months suspension provided they have been paying financial members of the Union for at least 12 months prior to their membership being suspended and they have a zero balance.