Journey Accident Insurance
Across Australia, conservative governments are slowly removing Journey Accident Insurance from state responsibility. In response, the AMWU has arranged for Journey Accident Insurance for all of its full fee paying financial members. This insurance scheme has been arranged on behalf of the AMWU to ensure members are not exposed to a loss of income if injured on the journey to and from work. This has been effective as of 15 December 2013.
The Journey Accident Insurance does not replace previous Workers Compensation arrangements but it does provide an alternative program to Members based on;
- Weekly Accident Benefit of up to 85% of a members weekly wage to a maximum of $1,500 per week
- Waiting period/excess 14 days.
- Benefit period of up to 104 weeks
Terms and Conditions:
- To be entitled to the benefits of the policy, you must be an eligible financial member of the AMWU and be paying full dues
- You must be a full member of the Union at the time of the accident to be covered under this policy. Pre-existing conditions are not insured.
- A financial member is classified as a member who has paid full current dues or is on direct debit or payroll deductions at the time of the accident.
- This benefit does not apply to retired members, unemployed members, members otherwise suspended or where the cover is provided by statutory or other means.