All eligible financial members of the Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union (AMWU) are entitled to a Funeral Benefit. This includes immediate family members.
Terms and Conditions:
- If an insured person sustains an injury or suffers an illness resulting in death, funeral/cremation expenses and/or the cost of returning the insured person's body or ashes to their country of permanent residency following their death will be paid up to an amount of $5000.
- This benefit does not apply to retired members
- Immediate family includes only the spouse (including de facto) and any immediate dependents of the eligible financial member
- An immediate dependent includes unmarried dependent children under 19 years of age residing with the eligible financial member or those under 25 years of age and studying full time. This also includes stepchildren and legally adopted children.
Important Information for Unemployed and Suspended Members:
- Unemployed members are deemed to be financial members for a period of one year post unemployment, provided they have a zero balance.
- The insurance benefits of financial membership shall not be available to a financial unemployed members from midnight on the first anniversary of them being suspended as unemployed on the AMWU membership database
- While all other categories of suspended membership other than unemployed are not deemed to be financial members of the Union they will be, for the purpose of Funeral Benefit, be eligible for cover, subject to all other eligibility criteria, for a period of 12 months suspension provided they have been paying financial members of the Union for at least 12 months prior to their membership being suspended and they have a zero balance.