The Australian Manufacturing Workers’ Union (AMWU) has established a funeral benefit to all eligible financial members of the union, including immediate family, managed through Coverforce Insurance Broking.
The executive have arranged an insurance product so that all union executives, employees and eligible financial members of the AMWU including immediate family are covered for funeral benefits.*
The policy provides worldwide 24 hour 365 day protection and has a maximum benefit of $5,000.
In the event that there is an injury or sickness that results in death, the insurance programme will pay costs associated with:
- Funeral and/or cremation expenses
- Repatriating the insured person’s body or ashes to their country of domicile following their death.
Who is Eligible?
You must be a financial member of the AMWU to be eligible. You must have been a financial member at the time of death as well as the time of claim. A financial member is a member who has paid full, current dues.
This benefit does not apply to retired members or life members.
Is my family covered?
Immediate Family includes your spouse (including de facto) and any immediate dependents* of the Eligible Financial Member.
*Immediate Dependent is defined as the Eligible Financial Member's unmarried/non-de-facto dependent children who are under 19 years of age and living with the Eligible Financial Member; or who are under 25 years of age and are full time students at an accredited institution of higher learning and are primarily dependent upon the Eligible Financial Member for maintenance and support.
This includes stepchildren and legally adopted children.
As with all insurance, there are some exclusions and restrictions including the following:
- This benefit is not payable to otherwise eligible members or their immediate family as defined above over the age of 70 years.
- This benefit is not available in circumstances where injury or death arises from suicide or attempted suicide
- This benefit is not available where alcohol and/or drugs (other than a drug taken or administered by, or in accordance with the advice of a legally qualified medical practitioner) were a contributing factor or where there are more alcohol or drugs involved than the law permits.
Please see the policy documents available in the downloads section for full details on applicable exclusions to this cover.
Find out more:
- How to claim
- Frequently asked questions
- Policy Downloads (Including Policy Schedule, PDS Claim form and Physician statement)